16-19 Tuition Fund

Click here for our 16-19 Tuition Fund (Covid-19) document

The 16-19 tuition fund is one-off funding for the 2020-21 academic year that is ring fenced for Sixth Forms to support students by providing small group tuition for 16-19-year olds where their learning has been disrupted and they have a GCSE Maths and/or English grade 4 or below. Although targeted students are identified based on their prior attainment in English and Maths, the funding can be used to support students in their learning across a variety of subjects.

The tuition fund is provided by the Department of Education as a direct contribution to address the impact of ‘the disruption to learning’ caused by the Covid-19 pandemic, for example, disruption that these students have faced or will face include assessments being deferred due to lockdown or self-isolation, falling behind in their learning due to long or multiple periods of self-isolation and not being able to complete external examinations due to positive COVID-19 cases.

Disadvantaged students and those with specific SEND will be prioritised in the allocation of the small group tuition, in line with the published DfE guidance.

St Peter and St Paul Catholic Voluntary Academy is eligible to receive £1,845 from this fund for small group tuition of no more than 5 students.

16-19 Bursary

Click here to download an application form for the 16-19 Bursary

Bursary Policy 2020-21


The 16-19 Bursary Fund provides support for sixth form students in financial need and is administered by the St Therese of Lisieux Multi Academy Trust.   You could get a bursary worth up to £1,200, depending on your circumstances and benefits.


You must:

  • be at least 16 and under 19 on 31 August 2019
  • study at a publicly funded school or college, or be on an unpaid training course
  • meet the residency requirements – your school or college can check this

Bursary for students in vulnerable groups

You could get up to £1,200 if at least one of the following applies:

  • you’re in or recently left local authority care
  • you get Income Support or Universal Credit because you’re financially supporting yourself
  • you get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) in your name and either Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit
  • you get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in your name and either ESA or Universal Credit

You may get the full amount if you have expenses and study full-time on a course of at least 30 weeks.

You’ll usually get less than the full amount, or no bursary, if one of the following apply:

  • your course is shorter than 30 weeks
  • you study part time
  • you have few expenses

You’ll be told what evidence you need, for example benefit letters.

Discretionary bursary

The Trust will look at your individual circumstances – this usually includes your family income.

You can apply to a discretionary bursary if you’re over 19 and either:


Those wishing to apply for a bursary must complete the application form and submit it during September of each year.  (If your circumstances deteriorate during the academic year, you should speak to Mr Woodgate (Head of Sixth Form).


Any queries relating to an application should be made to Mr Woodgate in the first instance.

Further information is available by visiting: https://www.gov.uk/1619-bursary-fund/eligibility